Question
Posted by: Yvonne | 2011/09/15

Heart Palpitations

Dear Dr,
I am on my second 10day course of Augmentin BD 1000mg 2xday antibiotics in one month for a Sinus infection which caused mucous in the lungs.
I have been having very bad palpitations and irregular heart beats with the second course. Could this be caused by the antibiotics?
I have continued my daily 4km walks while on the meds could this have put a strain on the heart?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Yvonne

No, I don't think the antibiotics could have caused the palpitations but the infection could have. If that is the case then the palpitations should disappear once the infection clears up.

It is also very unlikely that continuing with your daily walks has put a strain on your heart. It is sensible not to do evry strenuous exercise while you have an infection, but a 4k walk will do no harm at all.

Hope you feel better soon!

JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/09/23

Hi Yvonne

Hope you feel better soon!

JT

Reply to Cardiologist