Question
Posted by: JB | 2011-09-06

Heart Palpitations

Dear Doc.

I lead a very stressed life. My job is stress, home is stress, extended family is stress. Its just stress everywhere I turn, but I try and manage it by reading or just relaxing in front of the telly or, my personal favourite, falling asleep on the couch.

Recently, I have started getting heart thumpings. It feels like my heart literally wants to explode out of my chest - the same kind of feeling as if you were terrified of something. This happens in the evenings when I am at rest, and is usually followed by either my tummy wanting to run or feeling like I want to vomit. It is most unpleasant. It is never when I am busy, always in the evenings when at rest, and it feels like it is getting worse.

I am not on any medication, except for Purata which I take now and then when I cant sleep. It''s not something I have every day.

Is this a symtom of stress iow, nothing out of the ordinary, and thus nothing to worry about, or should I go and see a doctor?

A psychologist could help to analyze all the stresses you are experiencing, identify those that are avoidable ( so you can avoid them ! ) and work on techniques to cope better with the rest. Stress isn't inevitable. Your other complaints sound like there may be an anxiety disorder developing, which is quite common as a result of chronic stress. Although there are other potential causes for heart palpitations, which your GP would need to check on for you, anxiety itself, especially in the form of Panic Attacks, can cause palpitations, alarm and fear, rapid pulse beat, and other symptoms, such as sweating and trembling. And nausea and tummy sensations. ( again, there are other possible causes needing to be checked and ruled out ).
If your GP can rule out physical causes for these symptoms, a shrink should be seen, as this condition usually responds really well to treatment, with CBT style counselling and with some medicines, such as some also used to treat depression.

1