Question
Posted by: Gert | 2011/06/28

Heart Palpitations

I frequently suffer from pretty severe heart palpitations which continue for a few hours, accompanied by very sudden and violent diarrhea. This started 7 years ago and at the time I was tested for food allergies and one of the things that showed was Black Pepper. I eliminated this from my diet, but the above mentioned symptoms only subsided after some time. I did have my heart and thyroid etc checked out and was all fine. The symptoms went away for a few years, but now have recently creeped up again. I know for certain that none of the food I eat contains any spices. I have recently been re-tested for an allergy to black pepper, but it turned out negative. They also did a general allergy test and didnt turn up anything. Any ideas?

Dear Gert
I must admit that your condition of developing frequent severe heart palpitations combined with sudden and violent diarrhoea, is puzzling. For once, I would also immediately think that you were having an allergic reaction. The latter could be to any type of allergen, not only to food. But you say that you have had a general allergy test and even your prior reaction to black pepper has disappeared. Your thyroid and heart tests were also negative. I would recommend that you consult a gastroenterologist (your gp can refer you), because something must be triggering these symptoms. One other factor that should be kept in mind is stress. If you think that stress could be playing a role, please mention this to the gastroenterologist when you go for your assessment. If the gastroenterologist should diagnose a food-related reaction then we can see how you need to change your diet.
Hoping that you can pinpoint what is causing your symptoms.

1

Dear Gert