Question
Posted by: DBR | 2010-01-26

Heart Palpitations

Good day Doctor

Over the last two weeks, I' ve been experiencing heart palpitations. I' ve always experienced it, but it has been occuring more often lately. It' s a hard, fast, forceful, irregular pounding, lasting only a few seconds at a time. It feels as though my heart wants out of my chest!! There is no pain, only discomfort. It also affects my breathing, for those few moments, it feels as though I cant get any air - I' m not gasping, it just feels like a struggle to breathe.
I' m not particularly anxious before this happens, or even upset. So I doubt it is an anxiety attack of some sort.
Is this normal, or does this require further investigation?

My Dad died from a a massive heart attack, and I am a smoker (7 to 10 a day).
I am a 31 year old female.

Thank you!

Hallo DBR
I think this warrants a full investigation. Ask your doctor to do an ECG. They can also do a holter ECG where you wear a small machine for 24 hours to see what your heart does over a 24 hour period. It sounds as if you may have a heart arrythmia (irregular heart beat).

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010-01-26

Hallo DBR

Reply to cyberdoc