Question
Posted by: Nixx | 2009/12/10

Heart palpitations

Hi doc,

I am 34 years old &  healthy. I have 3 children &  exercise at gym twice a week. In the past few months I have Been experiencing heart palpitations. I mentioned this to my GP who said "  are u sure it' s not indigestion?" . It' s not! She also said there' s
nothing anyone could do to determine what it is unless I have an ECG while I' m experiencing it.

I' ve started keeping notes of when it occurs. Always in the evenings/night. It feels like my heart misses a beat and then has an extra big beat. I can feel this if I take my pulse too. It sometimes lasts half an hour and other times a few hours. I also have the feeling that my heart is doing flip flops (like your stomach does on a roller coaster). It happens once or twice a
week and there is no pattern (like after caffeine or exercise or
stress). I experienced heart palpitations during my twin pregnancy but my gynae said it was quite normal. I was also on a ventolin drip for pre term labour which made my heart race. I know that' s normal for ventolin but thought there might be a link?

Should I be concerned? Or head to hospital for an ECG next time it happens? I find it hard to believe it' s " normal"  as it feels really odd. My husband can even feel it if he feels my pulse. Any suggestions?
Nixx

Hallo Nixx
Ask your doctor to organize a 24 hour holter ECG for you ( they attach the ecg leads and you have a small machine that you clip to your belt) - this will pick up any irregularities and they will be able to see what the problem is.

2
Posted by: Elna | 2009/12/13

i am 46 years old, got heart palpitations 4 weeks ago, landed up in ICU for 2 days with a heart beat of 180. lots of tests later, no cause or problem found. why do i still have vertical chest pain between my breasts, sore to the touch and i am always out of breath. sleep bad but always tired...

please help.

Reply to Elna
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/11

Hallo Nixx

Reply to cyberdoc