Posted by: Andy | 2009-04-28

Heart Palpitations

Dear Doc

I suffer from heart palpitations: my heart beats either rapidly - between 90 and 110 beats per minute, or it beats not that rapidly, but it feels as if its beating really HARD with the result that my chest feels a bit heavy. It comes and goes maybe once or twice a month spontaneously, lasting from between 5 minutes and maybe 2 hours. I have noticed however that every time I eat food which has been deep fried (oily food) I get heart palpitations almost every time. My mother' s father died from a heart attack at the age of 42. I used to use adco-alzam to stop the palpitations which was very successful. I would just like to know what would you recommend I do? Is it something to have checked out by means of an ECG or not?

Dear Andy
It would not do any harm to have an ECG done - actually it would be useful to do a holter ECG ( they connect an portable ECG monitor for 24 hours to see exactly what happens when it happens). Discuss with your GP.

Have they checked your thyroid levels? I had VERY bad palpitations 110 -130 beats per minute and the dr told me I was anxious. Luckily I had a docter that believed me when I argued this and after some blood test was dignosed with and over active thyroid.