Question
Posted by: Therese | 2011-12-12

Heart Palpatations

Good morning.

I would just like to get some advise. I am 25 years old, female, non smoker, excersise 3 times a week, healthy weight etc. The only health problem I have is anemia.

For the past month or so I have been getting hectic heart palpatations and shortness of breath and it feels like pain under my ribcage. This happens with regular day to day things like washing dishes, bathing my son, doing light excersises etc. This happened once before and the doctor told me that I have a heart murmur. They did an Ekg and I was sent for a heart sonar. I was told that all looked fine and that''''s that. I''''m a bit worried as I feel faint and tired all of the time and I can''''t sleep. Should I maybe go back? What do you think?

Thank you!

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Theresa

Thanks for your question. Your heart has been thoroughly investigated in the past and your ECG and sonar were both normal, so it is likely that anaemia was the cause of the murmur and we can be sure your heart itself is not the cause of your symptoms.

If you are faint and tired all the time and have recently been pregnant, then it is quite possible that you are still anaemic. To check this out you should have a full blood count and iron studies done by your local pathology laboratory. Your symptoms might also be due to or aggravated by the demands of looking after a young child.

Once you have had the iron studies please go back to your family doctor and discuss the problem with him.

I hope things go better for you.

Kind regards
JT