Posted by: Sharon | 2012-10-26

Heart Murmur

I have got a heart murmur, have had it since birth. I am now 29 and I would like to know if it will affect my heart negatively if I fall pregnant. Could it make the murmur worse?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Sharon,

A murmur since birth could be due to all kinds of different conditions, or it may simply be an “innocent” murmur. The best way to check it out is to see a cardiologist and have an echocardiogram.

The heart has to work harder during pregnancy, so murmurs tend to get louder during pregnancy. However, pregnancy will not directly affect the cause of the murmur, whatever that may be; for example a leaking heart valve, a whole in the heart, etc. The most important question is whether your heart is good enough for the demands of pregnancy, a question which should be easy to answer with the help of an echocardiogram.. Please arrange to see a cardiologist, for your own peace of mind and also for the peace of mind of your family and your gynaecologist/obstetrician.

I hope all goes well.

Best wishes, JT