Question
Posted by: H | 2011-04-01

Heart medication

I''m a 43 year old male with a leaking mitral heart valve. My heart is also enlarged. I used to be on Coversyl Plus, but I''m using Ziak and Unat at the moment.

Which of the medication is the better one for my condition? I feel that the Coversyl has worked better before. I''m getting some pains in my chest lately with dizziness, and my feet are swollen a lot. Thanks for reply.

Expert ImageCardiologist

H, you write you have a leaking mitral valve and an enlarged heart. Enlargement of the heart in the context of a leaking mitral valve usually means that the valve is leaking quite badly, but the usual symptom caused by this combination would be shortness of breath, not chest pain or dizziness.

The best drugs for a leaking mitral valve and enlarged heart - of the three which you mention - would usually be the combination of Coversyl (perindopril) and a diuretic like Unat (torasemide), rather then Ziak (a beta blocker plus very low dose diuretic). However there may be better ways of managing the problem. My advice would be to see a cardiologist for an opinion about the best treatment for your leaking valve and the cause of your chest pain and dizziness.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011-04-04

Reply to Cardiologist