Posted by: MICH 24 | 2012-07-20

My mom is 82 years old. She is currently in Groote Schuur Hospital with congestive heart failure. unfortunately the cardiologist site is closed on health24. The doctor at Groote Schuur says 1 of the heart valves are weak but they won''t operate. I would like to know whether such an operation would be done by a private hospital or does her age count against her? I don''t know who I can speak to in this regard because the doctors at GSH are always so busy with lots of patients.

I suggest that you consult a private cardiologist. If she has a weakened heart valve that the doctors do not want to replace, she is most likely a high risk for the operation. The doctors will then opt to treat her with medication, to alleviate the symptoms of her heart failure.