Posted by: marchelle benjamin | 2009-07-09

heart failue

Hi there, my friend was diagnosed with HF. His heart is at 30% function. He was released yesterday from hospital. When I fetch him from the hospital he was fine but at night he started to cough and then a little bit of blood came out. Afterwards he could lay down any more and had to sit upright for the remainder of the morning. Is this normal. Did he maybe had to much fluid.
He also had a pain in his right hand side. He also did not urinate that frequently at night. His prescription is: Furosemide 40mgX3, morning and afternoon. Spironolactone 25mg 1x morning,Enalapril 10mg, morning and night.

What do I need to do because the nurse explain very little to me as to what i must do post hospitalisation.

Thks Marchelle

Hallo Marchelle
All these symptoms you describe are symptoms of heart failure.
See for some background information
Basically you need to ensure that he eats a low salt low fat diet and takes his pills regularly.