Question
Posted by: Hennie | 2012/09/26

Heart disease and Hawthorn

I''m a 45 year old male and I''m suffering from a mitral valve leak. My heart is enlarged due to the condition. I had Rheumatic fever as a small child and it affected my mitral valve. I''m currently using Ziak 6,25 and a water tablet.

I''ve read a lot about the natural medicine called Hawthorn and that it is very good for people with heart disease. I want to know if I can use hawthorn together with my Ziak or not ?

Also why cant I use anything containing Ginseng with my current condition ?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Hennie

I do not know of any evidence that hawthorn is good for people with heart disease, or anyone for that matter. However, as it is a natural product I doubt there would be any clash with Ziak and it is very unlikely to do you any harm.

I also am not aware of any proven benefit from taking ginseng, but by the same token don’t know any reason why you should not take it. Ginseng like hawthorn is an “alternative” product and is not known to cause or aggravate heart disease of any kind. It could possibly clash with some medications, but I consulted the Medicines Information Centre of the University of Cape Town on your behalf and they could not find any evidence that ginseng will clash with Ziak.

You could also consult the internet, but I would be wary of any sites which have an obvious commercial bias. Personally, I would save my money and avoid spending it on products of such doubtful benefit.

Kind regards, JT

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/27

Dear Hennie

Kind regards, JT

Reply to Cardiologist