Posted by: Angelique | 2012-09-27

heart condition

I was born with a cardio condition, and have had two
co-octation to the aortic velve..baloons implanted to open my aotic velve...due to a narrow aorta...i was told that the problem was fixed, though i have a slight murmer, is it possible this being normal, to be experiencing alot of heart pulpotations, where id be relaxed and all of a sudden my heart feels like its going to jump out of my chest from the speed its pumping, and then i get times where it feels as if its beating very slowly, i get shacky and need to stand up and walk around when this happens to regulate myself again? why would this happen? i have had a little boy last year and after giving natural birth the cardiologist said i was all good and healthy,but this seems to be something i have concern in. please if you can get back to me with advice id muchly appriciate it.
Kind regards

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Angelique

I am not sure what you mean by “two co-octation to the aortic” but I presume you were born with coarctation (a narrowing of the aorta in the chest, close to the origin of the artery to the left arm) and the coarctation required a balloon dilatation. The murmur could be coming from the coarctation or from the aortic valve or both. It sounds as though whatever problems you had have now been fixed.

The newer problem is palpitations, whichare probably not related to the coarctation. From your description they do not sound like sinister palpitations, and remember that palpitations often occur even in people with perfectly normal hearts. My advice would be to go back to your cardiologist and arrange for 24 or 48 hours of ECG monitoring, which is simple to do and will give you and your cardiologist information about your heart rate and rhythm when you have the palpitations. He or she will then be in a much better position to advise you about what, if anything, needs to be done. Many palpitations are completely benign and do not need treatment of any kind.

Best wishes, JT