Question
Posted by: Anne | 2009/11/19

heart conditiion and exercise

is it physically possible to exercise when I am on 40mg of purbloka twice a day for left bundle branch block?

Hi Anne

Yes, but with caution, medical clearance, and probably close supervision for the first sessions.

as you no doubt know, the side effects include fatigue, because the drug blocks the body's normal nervous system responses that allow us to exercise. So you may really struggle, and that's why you must control how you exercise very carefully. You might for example find that your blood pressure drops very low when you exercise, and that's why it's good to have someone on site who is measuring this for you and making sure everything is OK.

There are programmes of supervised exercise for cardiac patients, and for those taking medication like this and I really do suggest you investigate some of these, because exercise helps, but it just has to be managed wisely.

Good luck!

2
Posted by: Joy | 2009/11/23

after 2 heart attacks, artery bypass in my leg and two stents, in Sept, I still feel quite weak. Would love to start walking again but any activity leaves me breathless. Can u help please

Reply to Joy
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/21

Hi Anne

Good luck!

Reply to fitnessdoc