Posted by: Elsa | 2011-10-31

Heart beat faster than others

I realised for the first time in high school that my heart usually beats faster than my peers. If theirs beat at 65 mine beats at 90, if theirs are at 160, mine is at 200. When I did all my tests at the Virgin Active life centre today, everything were super, my weight, blood pressure, and body fat, but they said my heart beat is bad. Should I have this checked out.
I also get heart palpitations, and can''t drink cafienne, because I sweat, go pale, and even sometimes gets sick.
Should I see a cardiologist, or simply except my body.
I often feel tired.
I''m a 32 year old female, had annorexia in my teens after which I started experiencing health problems. I''m now very healthy though.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Else.

Heart rates both at rest and with exercise vary considerably from person to person. Some people function well at low heart rates and others at much higher rates.

Young, slim women often have relatively high heart rates, for a variety of reasons. Your high heart rate is not the fault of your heart, which is simply doing what your body tells it to do, under the control of what we call the sympathetic nervous system.

By all means make a mental note of your heart rate from time to time, but I would try to avoid getting too conscious of it. For example, I would not buy a heart rate monitor! Only see a cardiologist if it will give you peace of mind. From what you have told me your heart is healthy and is simply doing what hearts should normally do.

Best wishes. JT