Question
Posted by: Mel | 2012/09/14

Heart Attack, Triple Bypass, Heart Failure, Valve Leak

My mom had a heart attack and emergency surgery for a triple bypass about 3 months ago. Her doctor has just had to put her on medication to lower her blood pressure and says that there is a leak in the valve of the left ventricle. He said that this is due to the heart attack and also that one of the arteries that they replaced in the bypass had died due to the fact that the part of the heart that died was on the side that the artery was put. (She has high cholesterol and has been advised that since the operation her cholesterol has gone up.
I have now been told that she needs to go in for another operation in one weeks time to repair the leak and also probably do another bypass as they are not able to do angioplasty or stents.
What is the prognosis for an operation like this as she is not in a good condition at the moment. What is the best that we can hope for? My mom is 67

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Mel

Thanks for your question. I would really need more information before I can answer your question: for example, if the valve did not need repair or replacement at the time of the first operation, why does it need to be replaced or repaired now? Has the leak got worse? If so, why? And if the bypass that is now blocked became blocked because it is supplying permanently damaged heart muscle, why is another bypass necessary? Thirdly, how bad is the leak? Can the valve be repaired, or will it be necessary to replace it? What is the condition of the heart muscle, specifically her ejection fraction? What other health problems does your mother have?

Without the answers to some of these questions it is very difficult to give you any idea about prognosis, but presumably your mother’s cardiologist and surgeon believe the benefit of repeat surgery outweighs the risk.

The best you can hope for is a very good recovery, but obviously there is still a long way to go and a lot will depend on how much damage was done to the heart muscle at the time of the original heart attack.

I am sorry I can’t be more helpful. I hope things improve for your mother and your family.

Best wishes. JT.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/09/20

Dear Mel

Best wishes. JT.

Reply to Cardiologist