Posted by: Red | 2008-11-10

Heart Attack / Stroke

My Father-in-law recently had a stroke. He is fine now and has had no after effects/permanent disability from this. I am told by the family that the reason for the stroke is that he drank too much Whisky. Could this be accurate and if so please explain how alcohol causes this ?

Dear Red
Strokes are usually caused by blood clots or bleeding in the brain. Blood clots can be caused by high cholesterol, heart valve abnormalities or too thick blood. Bleeding can be caused by too thin blood (like people on Warfarin medication). People who drink a lot and have liver disease can develop a problem with their coagulation factors that can cause bleeding. see

Posted by: w | 2008-11-10

1 or 2 whisky' s a are good for you, a bottle is too much at a time.

Reply to w