Question
Posted by: John | 2010-04-01

Heart attack risk ?

Hi doc,

I am a 24 year old male and used to smoke, I gave up smoking on 22 September 2009 as I was getting a lot of stabbing pains in my heart. Since I stopped smoking the pain also decreased, but recently(2 weeks ago) I started smoking socially again which I am also stopping today!

The heart pain is back again and it feels worse. I eat pretty healthy and also go to the gym at least 3-5 times a week. I have been to the doctor and he did and EKG and said there''s no problem with my heart but I need to shed some weight.

Is it possible that an EKG machine could miss something and are there any other ways to test my heart ?

John

A stress ECG (exercise whilst doing the ECG) is more accurate to detect ischemic changes in the heart. When you consult your GP for a stress ECG, ask him/her to request a barium meal and or a gastroscopy, as you might have gastritis (caused by smoking and obesity). Gastric irritation can mimic cardio-vascular disease.