Posted by: Lynne | 2009-02-02

Heart Attack?

My fiance has been having a strange shoulder pain accompanied by difficulty breathing as well. He describes the pain as if though someone is crushing his shoulder. He has been to a pharmacist who gave him a muscle relaxnant.He has been under heavy stress at work and i feel this has contributed. Could this be a heart attack or the onset of heart problems, his father died of heart complications.

Dear Lynne
This could be a heart pain - rather let your GP do an ECG and some blood tests to exclude angina

Posted by: Lynne | 2009-02-03

Thanks, yes i also found the docs reponse rather strange...thought i was being paranoid..thanks

Reply to Lynne
Posted by: Lize | 2009-02-03

:) Take him to another doctor / specialist for a full medical check-up. You want him to be with you for a very long time - so have everything checked out.

I find it hard to believe that a doctor doesn' t want to do an ECG - lol he could make extra money if nothing else.

Reply to Lize
Posted by: Lynne | 2009-02-03

Thank you Dr Bets and Lize for the reply. We went to a doctor last night. He said that he doesnt see any indication of a heart problem as yet but advised him on a few lifestyle modifications to bring down the risk factor due to the family history. The doctor said he sees no need to do any blood tests and when i asked about the ECG, he said he doesnt believe in the machine' s accuracy? The doc basically ruled out a heart attack and said that it is a panic attack.

Should we perhaps go for a second opinion.

Reply to Lynne
Posted by: Lize | 2009-02-02

Hi Lynne,

I would take him to a doctor for an ECG as soon as possible, especially taking his family history into consideration.

Rather be safe than sorry.

Reply to Lize