Question
Posted by: Anne Anderson | 2012/03/09

Heart and diet

70 year old female, blocked carotid arteries (genetic) stent in left carotid arterie.Taking Lescol XL once a day and Ecotrin three times a week. Have low blood pressure which is normal for me. Should I be on any diet?

Expert ImageCardiologist

Dear Anne

I presume from what you’ve told me that you have an abnormal lipogram, ie you have a high level of bad (LDL) cholesterol or a low level of good (HDL) cholesterol or high triglycerides, or a combination of the above. The answer to your question is yes, you should be on a diet. The treatment of an abnormal cholesterol is not just drugs, but drugs and optimal diet.
What particular diet is recommended will depend on the abnormality, and is not just a question of what you should not eat but also what you should eat. Generally a vegetarian-type diet is best, in other words a diet which is high in fruit and vegetables and low in saturated fats. Moderate amounts of alcohol may be beneficial, eg 1-2 glasses of red wine daily.

I would suggest you see a dietician and also use whatever drug or drug combination will give you the lowest possible LDL cholesterol, the highest possible HDL cholesterol and normal triglycerides.

Best wishes, JT.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2012/03/22

Dear Anne

Best wishes, JT.

Reply to Cardiologist