Posted by: Colleen | 2012-11-02

A specialist said I have nutcracker/corkskrew syndrome, where it feels as if my oesophagus is being clamped shut from the bottom. When the "  clamping"  stops, my heart literally stops beating for a few counts, then it speeds up and then it functions again properly, until the next episode. The specialist said my heart "  resets"  itself and it is normal - I am just overly sensitive. This happens often during the day and I have had this for many years. A doctor originally thought it was a panic attack and I have been on Adco Paroxitine for years. I am also on 1.5mg eltroxins. I cannot sleep on my left hand side anymore because then my heart keeps "  resetting"  itself constantly. I need to know if this is normal. The whole process is very uncomfortable and lasts for some seconds, but sometimes an "  episode"  could last longer, causing distress as it feels as if I cannot breathe. Please help. The specialist was not at all worried and no one seems to pay attention to this.

I suggest that you consult a cardiologist for a second opinion. What you experience is not normal. Unfortunately, I am unable to make a diagnosis, as I am not familiar with your medical history and do not know the results of special tests.