Question
Posted by: jack | 2011/07/18

heart

i there just would like to know what i could do as i am worried for a good friend of mine ....... goes like this his 49 going through a divorce now well for the last year or so ..... he had 2 heart attacks 30 min apart which they doc helped him through it however not long ago he went for the 6months check up and they had to admit him and do the procedure again coz main art was getting blocked again the problem is ....1 he is a smoker plus mins 50 cig a day..... 2 he is also a drinks aswell as taking his chronic meds . spoken to him few times about his health just not worried anything else i could do ????

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Jack

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Divorce is of course very stressful, but unfortunately it sounds like he is to some extent the architect of his own misfortune as smoking 50 cigaretttes a day is a major cause of his heart problem. Whatever else he does, it is extremely important that he stops smoking; indeed, it is not an exaggeration to say it is a matter of life or death.

Alcohol of course also has health risks but is less likely to cause heart trouble and it is your friend's heart which at the moment should be his highest health priority.

My advice would be to get him to a physician or cardiologist or GP who can explain the risks and help him deal with the harmful aspects of his lifestyle. Unforunately however he needs to be worried, and to accept there is a problem! Denial is disastrous. You may lead your horse to water, but if he does not accept he is dehydrated you will not be able to make him drink.

JT

2
Posted by: Joy le Roux | 2011/07/20

Hi Dok. Ek is 49, vroulik, nie oorgewig nie, rook nie en drink ook nie. Ek kry hartkloppings op ''n gereelde basis. Voel of iemand ''n haas in ''n kussingsloop in my borskas gooi! Geen pyn, maar soms voel ek effens uitasem en dit voel lekker as ek dan ''n diep asemteug neem. Word nie duiselig of enige so iets nie. As ek my pols voel, voel dit of dit ''n slag oorslaan. Ek het so 2 jaar gelede ''n EKG gehad wat gewys het dat my hart OK is, maar in daardie stadium het dit natuurlik mooi reg geklop! Ek is nog nie in my menopouse nie en gebruik geen medikasie nie, behalwe vir eltroxin omdat een helfte van my skildklier verwyder is agv ''n gewas. Die operasie het geen invloed gehad op die kloppings nie, en my skildklier funksioneer normaal volgens toetse. Ek vermoed dat dit niks is nie, maar bekommer my hieroor, en sou graag wil seker wees dis iets wat ek kan ignoreer.

Baie dankie!

Reply to Joy le Roux
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/07/19

Hi Jack

JT

Reply to Cardiologist