Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010-07-20

Hearing loss and depression

Hey CS

Have you ever come across hearing loss as a symptom of depression? I know that hearing loss can contribute to depression but I''m interested in a relationship in the opposite direction.

My daughter is hearing impaired so we visit the audiologist quite often. One day I had my hearing tested as well because I was sure I''m not hearing as well as I should, but there was no problem. The audiologist mentioned that she suffers from depression and difficulty hearing is often one of the first symptoms she gets at the onset of a depressive episode.

Hearing loss can indeed controbute to depression, and can promote a degree of paranoia ( you can't quite hear what others are saying and may suspect its unpleasant ). I suppose as depression can make it harder to concentrate ( a common complaint in hearing-normal folks who get depressed ) it might make it harder for someone hard-of-hearing to piece together what they hear and to make sense of it, It'd probably make it harder to use sign-language, too.

1