Question
Posted by: Angela | 2011-05-31

Hearing loss (50%) in one ear

Hi ENT,
I am 35 years old and about 5 years ago noticed that I have lost significant hearing in one of my ears. I have had a hearing test where they have found that there is no movement in my middle ear but by the test said that it is partially middle ear and partially nerve related as by bypassing the middle ear there is still significant hearing loss. I have been to see an ENT and had an MRI which showed nothing wrong and concluded that it is due to a viral infection. I don''t recall having any serious virus apart from colds etc. However, I forgot to ask and I would like to find out if there is anything that can be done by no movement in the middle ear? Or is it then entirely virus related?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Angela

I suggest you go back to get your questions answered, as I can not give an opinion without all the information, or an examination. It seems as if you are suffering a mixed hearing loss, in which case the nerve is damaged, as well as the mechanism to get the sound TO the nerve (ie. the conductive part of the hearing).
It is a fact that viral infections are a major cause of sensori-neural hearing loss, and you can often not recall a specific illness. Whether or not correcting the middle ear component of the hearing loss will benefit you, relies on a number of factors, such as the hearing in your other ear, the possible cause in the affected ear, etc.