Question
Posted by: LP | 2008/07/01

Hearburn - Hernia, using Omeprazole

I'm 5 and a half weeks pregant. this is my second pregnancy. In my previous pregnancy I used Omeprazole for my hernia as that is what my doctor pescribed. I trust my doctor, i just had a huge difference with the pharmasist who told me it is not safe at all to use Omeprazole when pregnant? Could you please give me some advise.

It is best to avoid medications as much as possible in early pregnancy. Animal studies with high doses of omeprazole have shown problems, but there are now quite a few human studies which do not show an increase in congenital abnormlaities with Omeprazole use in pregnancy.