Question
Posted by: Sally | 2008/09/29

Heamatoma: gluteal area

I' ve been diagnosed with a heamatoma in the gluteal area between the muscle and the subcutaneous fat. This was sustained during a martial arts training session due to a kick on the glute / bum. I' ve been given cream, Synap Forte and Cataflam.
A week later I' ve finished my prescribed pain medication and anti-inflammatory. Even though the heamatoma does feel smaller (it was about 8 x 8 cm - now 5 x 5 cm) the pain is still excrutiating and without medication I am unable to sit, drive or sleep.
How long is it supposed to take to heal or should I return to my doctor. I don' t want to end up with an ulcer because of all the medication as well. In what cases are these surgically removed?

Dear Sally
We usually try not to interfere with it surgically unless it makes an abcess - if you cut into it you only give germs an opening to walk into! Hematomas are usually painful because the blood causes a chemical inflammation in the area. Ultrasound given by a physiotherapist may help this to resolve quicker. You may need to use pain medication a while longer.