Posted by: discouraged | 2009-03-06

healthy yet gaining

Hi doc,

I would just like to know if its possible to pick up weight if you are overweight, folowing a healthy weight loss eating plan and exercicsing 5 days a week for an hour..I am 23 andwent to a dietician to give me a customized food plan for weight loss, I am 1.67m tall and I weighed 67kg when I started the eating plan - she said to gym aswell and never skip meals... this I am doing and I am exercising an hour a day one day weight one day cardio. But I am slowly picking up weight... I weigh 69kg now.. - this is terrible, becasue I never picked up weigth while I was not eating all the ' good'  stuff I just stayed constand... it feels asif I am tightning up definitely..but is this normal - will I increase and then decrease. I have been folowing the plan for 2 weeks... and I dont want miracles I just want 0.5kg weight loss arleast by now and I gained 2 kg... please could you explain why this is happening. :(

Dear Discouraged
I can imagine that you are feeling discouraged, but you may well be building lean muscle tissue that ironically weighs more than fat tissue, so although your weight is actually increasing, you may well be losing fat! Please stick to the diet and the exercise programme, but leave out working with weights, just do cardio exercises as they assist with weightloss more efficiently while working with weights builds muscle tissue. In the meanwhile, also check out your vital dimensions and measure them once a week to see if you are losing fat which will be evident if you lose cm, even when you don't lose weight (kg). You will start losing so don't give up yet.
Hang in there

Posted by: discouraged | 2009-03-06

I am also experiencing unusual intestine bloatedness and slight discomfort - is this just my body getting used to the new lifestyle of exercise and eating habits. I used to skip meals because I was at university but now I pack lunch ant eat more regularly.... can this contribute to my problem aswell... al i need to know is will my body eventually lose weight, because it really looks unlikely at the moment even after doing everything right....

Reply to discouraged