Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2011/05/25

Healthy wheat-free eating

Dear Doc
I have eliminated wheat (no bread, cake or pastry) from my diet as far as possible because lately it has caused irritable bowel. I am a 45-year old female, who is overweight (weigh approx 90kg @ 162cm in height). I have also cut down on many fats (except for avos, nuts and olive oil) which causes nausea. I still sometimes get irritable bowel but it is more managable. I eat oats with milk or yoghurt and raisins with honey and fat-free hot chocolate for breakfast (I love chocolate and eat it once a week now). I drink 2 litres of water and 2 cups of tea and 2 cups of coffee with 1 sugar each a day. For lunch and supper I eat lots of veggies and fruit and lean protein like canned tuna, chicken breasts and steak with rice or potato. For snacking I eat biltong, nuts and fruit and have slowly been losing centimetres - I am apple-shaped - around my abdomen. I walk 20 minutes 3 times a week and bits inbetween. I would like to weigh about 74 kg (though I seldom weigh myself). Is this a good eating plan for my age? Should I be cutting down or up on anything?

Dear JoJo
If you have IBS and find that eating wheat aggravates the condition, then it will help to avoid all products that contain wheat or wheat bran. If you are trying to lose weight then it is important not to overdo your intake of high-fat foods, even if they are very healthy like the avocado, the nuts and the olive oil. Biltong is also not a low-energy food as it contains 14 g of fat and 1348 kJ per 100g, so don't have more than 30 g (2 tablespoons) a day and not every day. It is good that you are doing exercise and losing cm. The diet your describe is reasonable, but it lack 3 servings of milk or dairy products. Add another cup of fat-free yoghurt or milk to your intake and have half a cup of fat-free cottage cheese as a replacement for the tuna or meat every second day. Adult women need 1200 mg of calcium a day to prevent osteoporosis, hence the recommendation to have 3 servings of fat-free or low-fat milk/dairy per day. Research has also shown that diets that have a higher calcium content and contain low-fat dairy, tend to promote weightloss. Your present BMI = 34,4 which is very high, so weightloss is indeed indicated. If you can reduce your weight to 74 kg, your BMI would equal 28,2 which is nearly in the normal range. Set your goal to lose the first 5 kg and when you have lost that weight, aim for the next 5 kg and so on, until you have lost the 16 kg you intend losing. Rome was not built in a day!

1

Dear JoJo