Question
Posted by: Junkie | 2012/03/29

Healthy take-aways???

Hi Doc,

Is there such a thing as healthy, low fat, low cholestrol, low sodium take-aways? What would you recommend?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Dear Junkie
Now that is a challenging question! I do think if you buy take-aways such as Nandos grilled chicken, plus a fresh salad and the corn on the cob that they sell, you will be getting a reasonably healthy, low-GI meal with not too much fat and cholesterol esp if you remove the chicken skin! The meal probably also has a moderate salt content provided you don't add more table salt to your meal. The wrap with grilled chicken strips and salad is also a good option. When I last heard, the Nandos franchise employed a dietitian and she provided them with low-fat, low-GI options for their menus. Most branches should be able to give you the energy and salt content info of their meal choices - just ask for them. I wrote an article on this subject awhile ago. Click on ‘Diet & Nutrition’ at the top of this page and then do a Search with ‘Nandos’ too find the article that discusses a variety of take-away franchises. Then you can also purchase grilled fish with fresh salad from quite a few fish take-away shops. I believe that there are also vegetarian restaurants in many of the larger cities which will provide you with low-fat, very-low-cholesterol, high-fibre foods as take-aways. Whenever you order any take-away, remember NOT to order chips or fried foods and fatty sauces. Tell the staff not to add any salt to your order, but also remember not to add any salt yourself!

1

Dear Junkie