Posted by: Chubby | 2012-11-02

Healthy Snacks (ref post 235)

HI there

Can you recommend good healthy and satisfying snacks? I feel like I am constantly eating - I try to maintain healthy main meals :
Breakfast : scrambled or poached or omelette with brown toast
Lunch : Either dinner leftovers or tuna with beet salad, low GI seed bread and green salad
Dinner : chicken/fish/steak with vegetables and potato or brown rice
I dont like nuts - except hazelnuts but I might be brave enough to try some (definately dont like peanuts but they''re so oily anyway)

My snacks usually consist of (on a good day)
6 wholewheat provita with marmite (sometimes cheese as well) or biltong (but that gets expensive to do too often)
1 low fat or fat free fruit yoghurt or vanilla yoghurt &  muesli
- this is in the morning before lunch
1 glass Ultra Lean diet fuel protein vanilla shake

2-3 slices white bread toast with marmite
1 packet tomato big corn bites crisps or fritos

I seldom eat chocolate or cake as I have noticed a sensitivity to too much sugar, so I try avoid those foods. My insulin and thyroid has been checked.

I used to weigh 47 kgs about 10 years ago - I''d like to get back to 50kg or even 52kg (I am short, just over 5ft)

Its basically bad snacking habits due to anxiety and then lack of exercise (this is only something I can change) but your input on health snack options would be very valuable.

Dear Healthy Snacks
The snacks you mention are indeed healthy, except the white bread, which you can replace with Best of Both white bread that has a similar nutritive composition to brown bread, and should keep you satisfied for longer because it has a lower GI. Nuts are healthy, but because they have such a very high energy content, you need to eat them in small quantities of about 30 g per day. Dried fruit, other fruits with a lower GI such as pears, apples, plums and citrus fruit and berries should also help. If you are 5 ft tall (1.52 m), then your idea weight would be 51 kg for a BMI of 22. But you can weigh up to 55 kg (BMI = 24) and still be in the normal range, so don't put even more stress on yourself to lose weight. First get a grip on the anxiety which will reduce your need to eat all the time.
Take care