Question
Posted by: ML | 2012/09/13

healthy snacks for diabetic

Good day Doc

I have type 2 diabetes and currently take Glycomin once a day. Since starting with the Glycomin (was previously on Glucophage), my bloodsugar drops below 3 if I don''t eat every 2 hours. My work is of such a nature that I don''t have time to take a mini lunchtime every 2 hours. What type of healthy snacks can I eat inbetween my meals that will prevent my bloodsugar to drop so low? Also something that I can perhaps take with me when I go out shopping, because I don''t want to go to a restaurant each time and don''t want to snack on something like a chocolate.

Dear ML
If you are suffering from hypoglycaemia within 2 hours of taking Glycomin then it is essential that you do 2 things. 1)Go back to the medical doctor who prescribed the Glycomin and tell him/her what is happening because you are supposed to be able to achieve normal blood glucose values with the use of a product such as Glycomin, not to induce hypoglycaemia. The doctor will have to adjust your medication and advise if this is the correct medication for you. 2) It is evident that despite being a type 2 diabetic that you have not consulted a registered dietitian yet and have not been given an individual diet prescription that takes all the factors that play a role in your life into account. This is absolutely essential, so PLEASE visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area and make an appointment ASAP. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as this hypoglycaemia you are suffering from, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low-fat and low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Low-GI snacks for use between meals include unsweetened, low-fat yoghurt or fat-free cottage cheese, Provitas, deciduous fruit such as apples, pears, plums, or a handful of nuts or sandwiches made with low-GI bread and boiled egg or tuna or legumes (lentil patties, etc).
But first get help from your doctor and do see a dietitian.
Take care

1

Dear ML
Take care