Question
Posted by: Annabel | 2012/04/11

Healthy rate of weight loss for older women

Hi Doc,

I am currently trying to get a Weight loss challenge in place for my mother and mom-in-law. They are both obese, and extra weight is affecting thier health.
I would like to set achievable goals for them, and hopefully inspire and motivate them.

What would you say is a reasonable rate of weight loss for them. They are in the age group of 65 - 70, and obvisously not very active.

Any advice would be appreciated - Thank You.

Anna

Dear Annabel
In general weightloss of about 0,5 kg per week is regarded as good, esp in older individuals or persons who suffer from illnesses. To lose weight individuals need to basically change their lifestyle. They can reduce their energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and by moderately increasing their energy output by doing regular exercise. In the case of your Mom and Mom-in-law they could perhaps go for walks together in the fresh air. They can start slowly and then increase how long and far they walk as they lose weight and get fitter. While you are on the ‘Diet & Nutrition’ site, you can read about every aspect of slimming by exploring the 'Weight Loss' section.

1

Dear Annabel