Posted by: choices | 2009-03-30

Healthy options

what would you say are the better (healthwise and calorie content) options:

1) Freezachino (made with ice and fat free milk) or a dairybell yogi sip - 350ml

2) Slim slabs or nougat

3) Rice cakes or bread

Thank you for your time

Dear Choices
I do not have the nutrient composition of Slim Slabs or rice cakes available. According to the SA Food Tables, fat-free milk contains 146 kJ per 100 ml while drinking yoghurt contains 358 kJ per 100 ml, so that Freezachino is the better option. I don't have the energy content of Slim Slabs, but nougat contains about 1500 kJ per 100g depending on how many nuts are added. Compare this to the Slim Slab energy content per 100g. If the Slim Slab has a lower energy content and it contains more added vitamins and minerals then it would be nutritionally a better option. Standard brown or wholewheat bread contains about 930 kJ per 100g, compare to the rice cake energy content per 100g. From a nutritional point of view brown or wholewheat bread has a much higher dietary fibre, vitamin and mineral content than rice cakes and is thus preferred.
Hope this helps