Question
Posted by: Ali | 2010/01/28

Healthy living

I have hypertension - use meds for 12 yrs and under control, are 6kg' s overwieght (obese?!) and have a 5,2 cholesterol count, and not doing extra exercise other than run around at the office (am a PA) . What do I do to loose weight, control the hypertention and reduce the cholesterol, all in one go?

Thanks,
Ali

Dear Ali
Because you have 3 problems that you want to tackle at the same time, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will have to work out a low-fat, low-energy diet for you that takes all 3 conditions into account. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and 'Hypertension' and read about the DASH Diet which was developed in the USA to lower bp. This diet is low in fat and sodium which will respectively assist with weightloss and lower your bp and cholesterol. Exercise such as going for brisk walks would help for the weightloss, but please do not embark on any exercise programme without first consulting the dr who is treating your hypertension. If the dr gives permission you can start doing the type of exercise he/she recommends.

1

Dear Ali