Question
Posted by: LIane | 2010/04/20

HEALTHY EATING WHEN ON A BUDGET

So I have a really, really tight budget but I would like to eat healthy food that''s actually filling. i can''t really afford meat. and i do a lot of sport. i had my iron tested the other day and it''s gone down quite a bit. it''s at 12.8 at the moment and i think that''s why i''ve been struggling with exercise lately (i tire a lot faster than i used to). do you have any suggestions on how to spend R150.00 per week on food? thank you :)

Dear Llane
The fact that your blood iron levels are reduced is probably why you are struggling to exercise. The following foods are rich in iron: liver and red meat (if you can't afford red or even chicken livers at least once a week then eat chicken 2-3 times a week), fish, poultry and eggs (here is a relatively inexpensive source of iron - in the yolk), plus fortified maize meal and fortified wheat bread (all maize meal and wheaten bread in SA is fortified with iron and 8 other nutrients to help people achieve nutritional health) and dried fruit like raisins with pips. A while ago I wrote articles on 'Dieting on a budget', so please click on 'Diet/Food' at the top of this page and do a Search with 'Dieting on a budget' to obtain additional tips on how to make the best food choices if your budget is restricted.

3
Posted by: Liane | 2010/04/21

thank you very much Dw and DietDoc !! :)

Reply to Liane

Dear Llane

Posted by: dw | 2010/04/20

Hi. I spend about that and all I eat is healthy food. Oats for breakfast, chicken breast &  rice for lunch &  tuna salad for dinner. And it fills you up.

Reply to dw