Question
Posted by: mommy to be | 2011/02/17

healthy eating plan

hi i recently found out i am pregnant.its still early stages and im not even showing yet.i just wanna know what foods i should eat that wont make me put on more weight than necessary.i know that most woman just go crazy and eat whatever they want and thats why they struggle to lose weight after baby.i just wanna know if there is a healthy eating plan available for me that wont take away from the nutrients the baby needs?i recently lost 23kg and i dont want to lose all my progress.i know i will put on weight during the pregnancy but i would like to keep it under control

Dear Mommy To Be
Congratulations on your pregnancy and also for losing 23 kg - you are a bright shining ****Star***! I can understand that you don't want to gain back that weight, but as you rightly mention, pregnancy must be accompanied by modest weight gain which represents the developing foetus and expansion of the placenta, etc. Generally speaking women who commence their pregnancies with a normal weight can gain 11.5 to 16.0 kg over the 9 months, without running the risk of overweight after the birth. This works out to a bit more than 1 kg per month of gestation. I don't know what type of diet you used to lose the 23 kg, but if it was a balanced one including all the food groups, then I would recommend that you stick to your diet making sure that you have 3 servings of low-fat milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese a day to provide the 1500 mg of calcium you and baby need at this stage. Discuss the use of iron and folic acid supplements with the dr who will be overseeing your pregnancy, so that you avoid iron deficiency anaemia and prevent spina bifida in the baby. Also take omega-3 supplements such as Salmon oil capsules to ensure the healthy development of your baby's eyes and nervous system. If you find that you are gaining more weight per month then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will provide you with a diet that prevents rapid weight gain, but still ensure that your baby can grow and develop normally. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on pregnancy. If the dr gives permission also remain physically active - go for walks in the fresh air or go swimming, esp while it is still so hot.
Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy

2
Posted by: cleo | 2011/05/11

can u pls share how you lost the 23 kg. I need to loose 20kg

Reply to cleo

Dear Mommy To Be