Question
Posted by: Genevieve | 2010/06/04

healthy eating and excersise tips in pregnancy

Good day Doc,

I am 7 weeks pregnant and overweight. I was dieting heavily before the pregnancy and have always had a weight problem. It just yo-yo''s all the time. I am now concerned for the well-fare of me but mostly my baby and want to know what the best eating plan and exercise routine is that I should follow. I Love the Gym but am afraid of doing just any exercises now as I am unsure of what I am allowed to do. Please help as I need to keep fit and healthy and stay that way after my pregnancy too.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Genevieve

Dietdoc should be able to help you with a suitable eating plan. Exercises such as walking and swimming are good. If you want to do something more strenuous, ensure that your pulse is not pushed up too high for too long.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/06/05

Both weight watchers and weigh less have healthy eating plans for pregnant women but I think you need a letter from your gynae to go on them.

You can and should excercise while you are pregnant. Your heart rate should not go over 140bpm though. Walking, swimming, treadmill and cycle and possibly rowing should be fine at the gym, but perhaps speak to a lifestyle consultant there and they will advise you correctly.

In terms of healthy eating, keep portion sizes to the size of the palm of your hand. Make sure your plate is full of colourful vegetables and that you eat plenty of fruit each day and drink a few glasses of water each day (the nonsense about 8 glasses a day is silly - drink according to your thirst not a set amouant). If you find you overeat because you feel peckish during the day, then ensure you eat a good, filling breakfast with yoghurt, egg, toast, porridge, cereal or whatever your preference is, then cut up some fruit for a mid morning snack and have that with a handfull of nuts such as almonds or cashews or macadamias, then for lunch have a tuna sald or a chicken salad or a cold pasta salad or a sandwich and a fruit, then give yourself some dried fruit, or raw vegetables with hummus to dip for an afternoon snack and then have a supper with meat or fish, rice, pasta, potatoe or couscous and then two different coloured vegetables such as corn and peas or carrots and broccolli or butternut and cauliflower. If you are still peckish then have an apple with peanut butter or cheese or a bowl of cereal or two slices of toast or something like that for a before bed snack. Keeping yourself full of healthy food makes snacking on treats less likely. Keep your portion sizes in check though, If you do eat a chocolate or hamburger or toasted sandwich, don''t panic, it''s a once off, just carry on with the healthy eating after that. Avoid fizzy cooldrinks which are loaded with energy, and obviously avoid energy drinks and energy bars.

Reply to Purple