Posted by: Angela | 2012-05-14

Healthy eating and Diabetes

Hi Doc, I have recently helped my mom with a Healthly Lifestyle challenge to loose weight. Not a diet... just healthier eating like cutting out/down sugar, fat, bread... not mixing protein and carbs, taught her about good vs bad carbs etc etc

Since she has been eating better (and has already lost weight), and she says she feels better for eg since she has changed her diet, she hasn''t needed to use a single Rennies or Eno (something she used to use daily)....

Along with all the above, she has had to decrease her insulin dosage (she said she''s gone from 35 to 15, and still experiencing low counts when checking)
Is this a good thing or could this plan I have her on be detrimental?

I suggest that your mother consults a dietrician to evaluate the diet she is on. It is however, possible that by eating healthy and consuming low GI foods, her sugar levels are better controlled. It is imperative that she consults her doctor to evaluate the dose of insulin she is taking.