Question
Posted by: Joy | 2010/01/13

Healthy diet?

I am trying to lose weight . I eat a LOT of fruit and veggies . Can a person eat too much fruit?

I dont eat carbs as I am wheat intolerant and dont like rye bread. I do eat some oats ( porridge as well as oat bran) and some flax seeds. I also eat some nuts.

I eat a lot of low fat yogurt and some fish and chicken. Almost no red meat.

In your opinion is this healthy or could I be missing out on any nutrients. I do take a multivitamin every day as well as omega 3 supplements.

Should I be able to lose weight on this way of eating and is it healthy?

Joy

Dear Joy
Theoretically any food if eaten in excess can prevent weightloss or cause weight gain even if the food is as healthy as fruits and vegetables are. Your diet sounds reasonable and you should lose weight provided that your total energy intake is less than 6300 kJ per day and you do about 30 min of aerobic exercise (brisk walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, skipping, etc) every day. Use low-fat or fat-free yoghurt and don't add large quantities of fat, oil or salad dressings to foods during preparation to reduce your energy intake. Concentrate on eating vegies with 1-3 fruits a day as vegies generally have a lower energy content than fruits. I don't think you will develop any deficiencies on the diet you describe.

1

Dear Joy