Question
Posted by: Susan | 2009-09-07

Healthy bran muffin recipe?

Good morning

I would like to know your thoughts on the bran muffin recipe below: Do you think it is a healthy muffin recipe and snack? Is there any other replacements I can make to the ingredients, I already replaced the sugar with the banana and oil with applesuace. Can this recipe be part of a balanced diet?

• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup skim milk
• 1cup applesauce
• 1 mashed banana
+ extra bran

1.In medium large bowl, sift flour and baking powder together
2.In another small bowl, beat egg and add milk,banana and applesauce
3.Quickly combine both mixtures, stirring just to moisten
4.Fill greased muffin tins with batter
5.Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until browned

Dear Susan
This recipe sounds excellent from a dietary point of view as it is low in fat and high in dietary fibre. I just wonder if omitting all shortening (margarine or oil) won't make the muffin difficult to bake? If this is not the case then you can certainly include such muffins in your balanced diet. Just remember that any food, no matter how healthy, if eaten in excess can cause weight gain.
Enjoy