Question
Posted by: Johannes | 2010/08/23

Healthy and cheap

Good day,

I recently started to live on my own. Now my budget is VERY tight. I have a MAXIMUM of R500 to spend a month on food.

Please give me any ideas what I can eat so that I can go out end buy!

Thanks.

Dear Johannes
I understand that you have a tight budget and that food prices are very high at present. Click on 'Diet & Food' at the top of this page and then do a search for the articles I have written on the subject of budgeting for food. Use 'Food budgeting' as your search term. Keep in mind that the more processed a food is, the more you have to pay for it. So stick to nonprocessed foods like wholewheat bread and maize meal which are fortified with a combination of 8 vitamins and minerals, milk, eggs (which are excellent sources of high quality protein), fruit and vegetables in season and legumes (dry canned or cooked beans, peas, lentils or soya) - these foods are all healthy, rich in protective nutrients and not too expensive.
Hang in there

1

Dear Johannes
Hang in there