Question
Posted by: curious | 2010/02/02

Health walker

I am a 56 yr old female. I started walking about 4ks last year 3 times per week.

My time is very limited at the moment, but must carry on with my walking.

I have been given a health walker and have started using that instead. I know it is much better to walk outdoors, but at the moment I will have to make do with second best.

I am very fit, and healthy.

I would like to know how long I should walk, and how many calories I should burn. I have to maintain my weight as well.

I would aim for 30 minutes a day to start with. That 30 minutes could be spent either walking continuously, or you could alternate rest with walking. You might for example walk for 5 minutes, rest for 3, and repeat 4 times. As you get fitter, you can increase the intensity and reduce the rest periods.

Then, in perhaps 3 to 4 weeks, you can increase the total time - to 35 minutes, then 40 minutes, then 45 minutes. That's probably the target - 45 minutes, four to five times a week, but you'll need to build up to it.

As for calories, my advice is to focus on the time of exercise, and then you'll take care of the rest. Also, if weight is your concern, then diet is crucial and you need to sort that out as well. Perhaps as your top priority, even.

2
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/05

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/02/05

Reply to fitnessdoc