Question
Posted by: NS | 2011-08-12

Health Shakes

Hi, i''''ve noticed that I''''ve become hungry more often since i started going to the gym, and i dont really want to eat more because i''''m trying to lose weight, so i wanted to know if you could please recommend any health shakes which i can take as a ''''"  snack"  or even a meal replacement that would fill me up.

Dear NS
I would like to apologise for only answering your question today, but I was away and had asked for the DietDoc Message Board to be switched off in my absence, something that evidently was not done. There are so many different health and slimming shakes available from pharmacies and sports venues, that it is impossible to recommend one specific product. I can only give you some guidelines for your selection of such a shake: 1) The energy content per serving (with water or skim milk) should not exceed 2100 kJ if you are using it as a meal replacement, and not more than 1050 kJ if you are using it as a snack, if you want to prevent weight gain; 2) The shake should preferably contain carbohydrates and proteins and have a low fat content; 3) Avoid shakes that contain excessive amounts of vitamins and minerals because you may develop vitamin overload which is also harmful; 4)Avoid shakes that contain so-called fat burners or slimming compounds or appetite suppressants - these can cause negative side-effects, esp when you are exercising (e.g. palpitations, dehydration, high bp, etc). 5) Ask your pharmacist for a high-carb, high-protein shake without all the other unnecessary additives.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-08-16

Dear NS