Question
Posted by: Jen | 2008/10/13

Health risks with Fondue

I would just like to know what health risks a fondue poses...went to one on Saturday. We had raw beef and chicken, which we dipped into a communal oil fondue. I was feeling exceptionally nauseous and had stomach pains yesterday...still not feeling well this morning. Could it be too much oil or perhaps food poisoning? I haven' t had to run to the toilet or vomit yet.

Dear Jen
The oil from a fondue is usually very hot and if you wait long enough to cook the food thoroughly should not pose a health risk. Under cooked chicken especially can however cause food poisoning.