Posted by: Han | 2009-01-28

Health risk of open raw sewerage

The building next to the one I am working in has a overflowing septic tank. Their pump that should pump the sewerage in the local system is broken. The raw sewerage is now leaking into the underground parking of our building. The report states that unless I come into physical contact with the sewerage there are no health danger to me it is only as the report say a nuisance.. Tests for structural damage is in process. I urgently need to know more of the possible danger of open raw sewerage for people smelling it all the time.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

I'm sorry that you have to endure this - it's really unacceptable. It's correct, however, that you do need to come into physical contact with the sewerage for it to pose a health threat. Unless you actually touch it (and that would include getting any leaked material on your shoes and tracking that back into your home), or it somehow gets into the drinking water system (most unlikely; this system is separate), you will be safe.

However having to endure the smell is not just a minor nuisance - it impacts on your quality of life and the building management needs to correct the problem at once.