Question
Posted by: Wits End | 2009-10-30

Health problems causing depression

Hi Doc, I am a 23 year old female and have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have had numerous tests done and still doctors can' t tell me what the problem is.

I have recently been feeling very down about it. It' s really depressing not knowing why you' re sick, I feel so helpless. Also, all these doctors visist are incurring seriously high medical bills and that too is a huge cause for concern. I only have a history of panic disorder but not depression. I am losing interest in everything, including spending time with my friends, all I can think about is my illness and how no one is able to help.

High Blood pressure usually isn't difficult to diagnose - one measures the BP. Now, except for a rare situation where someone has raised BP due to a rare tumour, most cases of what was called Essential Hypertension just arise, for no specific or identifiable reason, just like most disorsers. And though I understand that you'd like to know a reason, most of the time most of us suffer various diseases and disorders without ever knowing the reason for it.
Surely at this stage, the priority should be finding the most effective way to treat and control the raised BP, rather than spending large sums on many different doctors, searching for a cause that is likely to never be discovered ?
If they are continuing to hunt for a zebra without properly treating the identified high BP, I think that's rather irresponsible and unwise. Insist that they treat it NOW. Maybe in a year or so it might become worthwhile to hunt a bit once more, as if there is some so far unrecognized cause, it might become detectable by then.
I think it would benefit you greatly, and probably help to control the raised BP, for you to see a psychologist ofering Cognitive-behaviour Therapy (CBT)which would help you regain proper controol over your emotional responses to this BP problem.

4
Posted by: Phil | 2009-10-30

Shame man, lets hope you get sorted soon.

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Wits End | 2009-10-30

Hi Phil, thank you for your response, the high blood pressure as such is not what is getting me down, my doctors keep sending me for all sorts of tests because according to them I shouldn' t have high blood pressure at such a young age. I do know that it is treatable, my only worry is that no one is giving me any medication for it, I keep being poked and prodded, they want to get to the bottom of the high blood as such a young age, sometimes there isn' t a logical explanation, I just wish they would stop treating me like a lab rat :(

Reply to Wits End
Posted by: Phil | 2009-10-30

You make it sound like it is the end of the world? I also have high bloode pressure, very high. I takle the strongest medication on the market and now it is under control, don' t feel bad or anything. So why stress, it is treatable?

Reply to Phil