Question
Posted by: DN | 2011/09/27

Health, health, health !!!

I am a fearful, anxious person - I have been this way my whole life ! But its getting so much worse (I am now 35yrs, am female). If it wasnt my father''s health I was worried about when I was little (he''s now nearly 70 and still kicking and there is no disease really in our family - all are still well !!!) , it then became my boyfriend/husband''s safety in my early twenties. After I had children, it was their health and safety (and still is too), but now it''s ME too (has been for a few years). I fear something going wrong with my health and my perfect life and family disolving due to it. But above this, I fear doctors, because I''m scared they are going to tell me I am sick. Last year I had a battery of tests due to some serious symptoms and nothing was found to be wrong (very real pain and other issues ) - it was the first real thing I can recall going wrong with my health in fact. I am not a depressed person at all just anxious and fearful. I cannot even wait a second to open an envelope because I fear what it contains so can you imagine what I felt like when I had to wait for test results to come back ! I fear the feeling of fear ! I am definately not a hypochondriac though as I understand they are always at the doctor - I''m not ! And then I think, there is something wrong with you, got to the doctor, then i think I''m fine, so I dont, then I see little signs and symptoms and ignore them, dont go to the doctor, then I feel guilty! I dont want to be ill. I feel great really, am bubbly, (but also slightly excitable - maybe bordering on manic). My phyciatrist wants to put me on Ritalin (for ADD), but I work like a trojan and am so focused at work but do bounce around a little too much in the evenings like I''m on a high. And then because of my health fears I drink too much wine in the evenings. I check everything on me with minute detail so see if I have a symptom of something. I read every symptom on the web and have diagnosed myself with 1 or 2 major life-threatening diseases. Where someone else would see a symptom and go to the doctor without a care, I get so paranoid, I check on it, research it, diagnose myself with it so I''m not surprised with what the doctor says when I get told I have it, but still dont have it checked out. How do I get over my fear of my health and of doctors ?? Please suggest something, I am slipping further into this horrible time in my life and I have so much to be greatful for, wonderful job, wonderful husband and kids, wonderful home - it''s like I have no self-worth ! I am an adult, I should be mature and reponsible, but I cannot break through the fear. I''m so sorry for all this jabber, but I dont know how else to explain it. Thank you for your time.

I realise you don't welcome the term, but what you're describing sounds very much like hypochondriasis, doesnt it ? Phobias can be very specific ( I worked with someone with severe phobia for turkey feathers ) ; and there can be an overlap with OCD, as obsessions usually focus on just a few themes, and the fear of an awful illness striking you or your family is a common one. Surely you have discussed this with your psychiatrist, who should have assessed these features and made a clear diagnosis and treatment plan ? Recent major reviews in the medical / scientific literature throw really major doubt on whether ADD happens in adults, and whether this is a valid or useful diagnosis, or whether it responds well to the treatments usually used, by the way

3
Posted by: K | 2011/09/28

i have bad news for you.....we are all gonna die one day. No amount of doctor visits or medication or operations can cancel that fact.

If you are NOT hypochiondriac, but just worrying because you have nothing better to do.....stop it. Enjoy your life. It''s over before your realise....and what will you have to show for it?? Just worries and trips to the doctor. What a waste of time.

Reply to K
Posted by: DN | 2011/09/27

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I do not have any social phobias - I am not scared of people face to face at all - in fact, I think I''m becoming a little overly confident and friendly now in my 30''s. So its not a people phobia, just doctors and disease. I have had 2 babies so not fearful of any procedures or even if they may hurt, just the outcome of it all !!!!

Reply to DN