Question
Posted by: Joe | 2011/02/22

Health bars

Hi doc, are "health bars" rally as healthy as they claim? i.e. are they more than just high-protein, high—fat candy bars?

Dear Joe
The problem with many of these so-called 'health bars' are that they are high in fat. The bars that state that they are 'high-energy bars' do usually supply a good energy boost for athletes and very active individuals. Slimming bars must be checked to see if they are actually low in kJ and also that they don't contain very high levels of added vitamins and minerals because eating a couple a day can lead to overdosing. So read the labels and compare the energy content per 100g to that of a chocolate bar when you want to purchase such products. You may well find that the 'health bar' contains more energy than the chocolate bar!

4
Posted by: 43 yrs old woman | 2011/02/23

Hi Joe

I have been a marathon runner for more that 15yrs and have use ''high-energy'' bars to supply a good energy boost .
I also use ''Protein'' bars.

Reply to 43 yrs old woman
Posted by: Tracy | 2011/02/22

And what about shakes?

Reply to Tracy
Posted by: Sean | 2011/02/22

That"s something I"m actually wondering about myself.

Reply to Sean

Dear Joe