Question
Posted by: Tina | 2012-08-14

Health and work

Hi doctor, I have a bit of a situation here: I was bitten by a violin spider and it has affected my liver(obviously it is the poison my body is trying to get rid of) but that is not the issue: my husband thinks that I am an alcoholic but I only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine. I don''t drink anything else although he quite happily drinks 2 bottles of wine, followed by whiskey and then bourbon. He is over weight, I am under and I just feel constantly put down, as if nothing I do can please him. What do I do?

Gosh, I have never ( fortunately ) come across a violin spider. But what does that have to do with alcoholism ? If he drinks bottles of wine and then spirits regularly, let alone every night, he has little authoritiy for calling anyone else alcoholic. Marriage counselling might be useful to explore and reduce the degree of friction you describe ( which could be enough annoyance to encourage many of us to have a drink !) ; and maybe he is nagging about your drinking to avoid facing up to his own excessive drinking. Maybe offer to join AA if he will do so as well, and go to meetings with him. They're likely to tell you you are not alcoholic, and remind him that he is.

1