Posted by: M | 2009-05-14

Thanks for yoor quick response to my question on Headaches.I had the flu and took antibiotics and feel much better.
But while i was at my GP i askes him sum questions.I had done a cholesterol test and the results were 6.3 which he said i need to change my diet which i have done.I am using your guidlines on a low fat diet but what concerns me is he said that what worries him is my Thyroid.He is not going to put me on meds now as i donot have children and am not on oral contraception.Should i be ready to have a child he will then tackle that as aspect.My question to you is if my thyroid is under active what can i do?Or is there nothing taht can be done to keep it in control.Will it always have an impact on my weight.I have noticed my weight always fluctuates.I am eating healthy and doing taebo as a form of excercise which i have just started.

Thanks a mill.

Dear M
It's a pleasure. Hope your flu is getting better. The problem about an underactive thyroid is that it can influence your weight. But not having additional information (for example knowing what is causing your underactive thyroid), I can't really advise about what can be done. If your thyroid is not working properly because you are deficient in iodine then using iodised table salt and eating fish regularly should help, but if your thyroid is underactive because of an autoimmune reaction then taking iodine won't help. When next you see your dr, tell him about your weight problems and ask him directly to put you on treatment if it is required.